Brown Butter & Sage Mashed Potatoes Ingredients:
- 8 cups skin-on Green Giant™ Fresh Red Potatoes, cubed small
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 whole head of garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup broth of choice (we used vegetable broth)
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 heaping tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
Brown Butter & Sage Shepherd’s Pie Ingredients:
- 3 cups leftover Brown Butter & Sage Mashed Potatoes, warm
- 4 cups leftover vegetables (we used 2 cups carrots and 2 cups peas)
- 4 cups leftover turkey
- 1 cup leftover gravy, warm
Brown Butter & Sage Mashed Potatoes Directions:
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut off the top of the garlic bulbs (about 1/4 inch), drizzle with olive oil, and wrap in aluminum foil. Bake until golden and bulbs are soft, about 35 minutes.
- While garlic cooks, add cubed potatoes to a large pot and fill with enough cold water to cover potatoes. Add salt and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cook until potatoes are fork tender. Drain potatoes, add back to the large pot.
- While potatoes cook, melt butter in a skillet over medium. Swirl butter around pan until it begins to foam and turn lightly golden brown. Remove from heat and add chopped sage – the sage will turn darker and become crispy. Set aside. TIP: butter can turn from brown to burnt very quickly so make sure you are cooking using a medium heat.
- Squeeze the soft garlic bulbs from the head of garlic into the pot of potatoes. Add 2 tbsp sage brown butter and slowly add broth as you mash to reach your desired consistency. Taste and season as needed. TIP: warm (but don’t boil) broth in a small pot before adding to potatoes.
- Add Brown Butter & Sage Mashed Potatoes potatoes to a bowl and drizzle with any additional sage brown butter. Enjoy!
Shepherd’s Pie Directions:
- Preheat oven to 400F
- To a 9×13 baking dish layer:
- Drizzle with gravy
- Top turkey, vegetables, and gravy with mashed potatoes and bake for 30 minutes or until hot. Enjoy!